OJT will enable a student to exercise/ practice all the knowledge/ skills gained during academic teaching. This may require the OJT to be conducted at more than one location so that a variety of skills may be applied / practiced. Perforce we have to accept that only some of the skills will be practiced and some of the knowledge gained will be applied. The objective of the OJT is to enable application of as wide a variety of skills / knowledge as possible.
Skills to be practiced and assessed
Skills may be divided into the following categories:
- Technical skills– Would be separate for each discipline/ course being conducted.
- Communication Skills
- Written – Reports, Simple memos, Making simple sketches/drawings.
- Verbal – Conversation, Telephone talking, Discussion skills, presentation skills, etc.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to mix easily
- Developing confidence of superiors
- Earning respect of colleagues/ peers
- Cooperation with colleagues / superiors
- Personal Abilities/ Qualities
- Punctuality and attendance
- Discipline and conduct
- Attitude – positive, cheerful, keenness to learn
- Self Confidence, initiative
- Capacity for hard work
- Persistence, Determination