The Mechanical Engineering within the Department of Engineering offers Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Bachelor Programs in Mechanical Engineering Specialization. The section is armed with highly qualified and experienced teaching staff and technicians with teaching, industrial and research background. The section has well-equipped laboratories in the areas like CAD/CAM, Engineering Workshop, Machine Shop, Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics and Pneumatics, Thermal Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Mechanics of Machines, Engineering Design and Material Engineering. The Engineering Design lab is equipped with computer workstations and design, analysis & simulation software packages like AutoCAD, Solidworks, Ansys and Arena software.
The program provides high quality education and training in the field of mechanical engineering through relevant theoretical and practical courses designed at a technology level to equip the vital knowledge, understanding and skills to a higher level of competence that will ensure success in the work place and also adapt to constant changes in a rapidly developing society. The program reinforces confidence in meeting the challenges of work in a global market. Alternatively the program enables the graduate to join higher-level studies in the field of specialization.
The program enables the student to:
- Contribute to the society in a broad range of careers in the field of mechanical engineering.
- Employ study skills and computer knowledge for a successful career in mechanical engineering.
- Acquire sufficient knowledge to promote lifelong learning or progress toward higher studies.
- Acquire technical skills necessary to enter careers with the required qualification to the employees.
- Acquire sufficient breadth and depth in knowledge for successful subsequent graduate study post graduate study or lifelong learning.
- Acquire technical and managerial skills necessary to enter careers in design, application, of mechanical systems.
- Maintain professional and ethical responsibility.
- Deal with issues in a logical and technical manner.
- Recognize new development in his field and cope with the future technological development.
- Make use of the available computer communication resources in the field of mechanical engineering.
- Develop technical skills to cope up with the rapidly developing technological world.
- Master linguistics ability to communicate effectively in the wide market environment.
- Enhance intellectual capacity to adapt to continuously changing world and confronts newly arising problems in the field of specialization.
- Develop analytical and application skills to enhance ability to creatively address unstructured problems specific to the relevant field.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
The graduate should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of :
- Basic science and engineering to analyse the process and the performance of mechanical systems.
- Material science, computer science, mechanics of solids/fluids, thermodynamics, engineering design, and electricity electronics, engineering drawings to gain strong background in the area of mechanical engineering.
- Apply logically:
- Basic technical concepts to the solution of industrial problems
- Management analysis and the implementation of simple mechanical systems
- Function independently or part of a team on multi –disciplinary projects.
- Effectively commit to quality, timeline and continuous improvement.
- Communicate effectively through a series of peer and faculty reviews to include the oral and written reports.
- Work on different phases of major-scale projects such as planning, manufacturing and maintenance under the supervision of senior mechanical engineers.
- Maintain an appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills, and the tools necessary for modern the mechanical engineering environment including the use of computer drafting systems and the design packages.
- Apply the knowledge of :
- Science and engineering to analyse the process and the performance of the mechanical systems.
- Probability, statistics, engineering economic analysis, CAD/CAM, control engineering, to analyse complex engineering systems.
- Material science, computer science, mechanics of solids/ fluids, thermodynamics, engineering design, and electricity and electronics, engineering drawings to gain a strong background in the area of mechanical engineering.
- Design and conduct experiments in mechanical engineering, make engineering measurements, analyse and interpret data and apply the experimental results to improve the process.
- Act of creativity with critical thinking in :
- Performing drafting tasks associated with mechanical components, plant layout and general engineering work.
- Carrying out economic analysis and cost estimation related to maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Utilizing and presenting the operation of a mechanical engineering system.
- Performing economic analysis and cost estimation related to design and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Using basic technical design concepts to the solution of industrial problems.
- Handling Management, design and implementation of various mechanical systems.
- Dealing with the management and implementation of various mechanical systems.
- Identify, analyse and solve mechanical engineering problems.
- Effectively commit to quality, timeline and continuous improvements.
- Have the ability to develop, implement and improve integrated systems that include people, material, information, equipment and energy.
- Master completely knowledge, techniques, skills, and tools necessary for modern mechanical engineering environment including the use of computer drafting systems and design packages.
- Carry out a research in a topic in the field of specialization using resources such as library, Internet and periodical journals.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of professional and ethical responsibility upon mechanical engineering.
|SI||COURSE CODE||COURSE NAME||CREDIT HRS|
|1||CHEM1100||Fundamentals of Chemistry||3|
|3||ITAD1100||Advanced IT Skills||3|
|4||ENTW1100||Technical Writing 1||3|
|6||ENTW1200||Technical Writing 2||3|
|10||EECP1290||Computer Programming for Engineering||3|
- Machine Operator
- Mechanical Technician
- Production Supervisor
- Design Engineer
- Production Manager
- Project Manager
- QA/QC Engineer
- Technical Manager
- Maintenance Engineer