With a view to provide experiential learning for students, The Student Development Committee (SDC) and The Industrial Link Committee (ILC) of Business Studies Department organized an industrial visit to Salalah Free Zone Company S.A.O.C on Tuesday 19th November 2019. A group of 22 students from various levels and specializations along with 3 faculty members; Mr. Mohamed Shariff, Chairman-SDC, Dr. Amit Sharma, Coordinator- OJT & ILC and Ms. Rathna Chellappa, Faculty- Accounting Section visited the headquarters of SFZ.
The group extended a warm welcome by Ms. Omaima Bahajaj, Marketing & Communication Manager and her staff. Ms. Omaima guided the group to SFZ’s conference room, where she made a power point presentation on various operations of SFZ. The following aspects of SFZ were effectively described in her presentation.
- SFZ’s services to the entrepreneurs in setting up the industrial units in free zone
- Special benefits of establishing industrial units in the free zone
- By providing services of various public offices under one roof, how SFZ promotes ease of doing business and completion of formalities related to start-up of business sooner.
- Economic benefits through Salalah’ s geographical location, proximity to world markets and availability of port services through SFZ,
- Role of SFZ in providing employment directly and indirectly to the local labor force
At the end of presentation, students were offered refreshing drinks and at the same time Ms. Omaima and her team responded to the students’ queries.
Before end of the visit, SFZ team took the group to various departments of SFZ and was briefed about the functions of such units. During the visit, students also got a chance to interact with some of the entrepreneurs who have opened their units within the SFZ premises.
This visit provided a remarkable opportunity for the students to correlate theoretical knowledge with a live observation. Altogether, it was a wonderful learning experience for the students as they were acquainted with real working environment of a company.