The Human Resource Management Department is known to be the heart of an organization. The HR manager plays a key role in any well-established organization. This profession, like other professions, needs to be managed by professionals who play a crucial role in the growth of the organization and individuals. In the days of financial crisis and tight job market, HR profession is considered an important field. It takes responsibility to provide the human resources and becomes the strategic business partner in accomplishing the corporate goals. In the era of information technology, public sector and private sector companies have been focusing on this discipline and paying more to meet the challenges of an open market.
At the strategic level, the main function of HR is to develop the balancing act in the growth of the business of the company and its human capital. The HR function works like a catalyst in the organization. HR professionals act in the organization as a middleware between the management and the employees. The objective of HR professionals is to develop a positive and healthy working environment to increase the productivity and job satisfaction among the employees.
The program provides the academic foundation for careers concerned with the effective utilization of the human resources of organizations and economic system as a whole. The program will qualify graduates for positions in private and public organizations.
The program will enable the graduates to possess a good knowledge and skills in modern HRM. The graduates will have the ability to understand the broad picture of HRM, develop awareness of the importance of effective utilization of Human Resources and apply the knowledge of HRM in the professional settings.
The graduates should be able to:
- Define HRM theories and concepts.
- Recognize the importance of effective utilization of HR in any organizations.
- Evaluate the different types of reward systems.
- Analyze the problems of modern HMR and how to overcome these problems.
- Recognize the importance of understanding the employee’s psychology at work.
- Identify ways of improving the satisfaction and productivity by studying the organizational behavior.
- Apply the principles of modern HRM in the professional setting.
- Work independently and in a team.
- Maintain and practice with the highest codes and ethics.
- Communicate effectively.
- Make effective use of available information technologies and information resources.
Career opportunities for HRM professionals
Functional Areas of Work
The main areas of work in HR function are:
- Recruitment and Selection: Involves preparing job descriptions, attracting people with right qualifications and skills, with right mind set and attitude.
- Manpower Planning: Assessing the present and future manpower requirements in the organization, succession planning and career planning. This area is very important in which the future strength of an organization lies.
- Human Resource Administration: Defining organization’s HR policies and procedures and implementation thereof
- Compensation and Benefits: Determining salary structures, employee perquisites etc, covers health, security, safety, terminal benefits, and employee welfare facilities. This area is very important for retaining the talent in organization.
- Industrial Relations: Promoting healthy relationship between management and employees associations, addressing employees’ concerns, taking care of legal issues in the labour courts / labour commissioners.
- Training and Development: Arranging employee orientation programmes and providing technical skills and behavioral training to employees for effective performance. This area is very important for career progression of an individual in the organization.
- Performance Appraisal: Reviewing performance appraisal system of the employees from time to time using the assessment information for the purpose of trainings, promotions, and incentives etc. Using right tools & techniques to measure the performance of the employees in order to develop the sense of confidence in the employees and bring transparency in the system.
Beyond these regular roles, HR function in an organization is now actively involved in issues like talent management, initiatives to retain the talent, building brand image, improving work culture and transforming learning and managing within the organization.
Those with an education in human resource management can pursue leadership positions. The job titles of HR professionals can include: Labor relations managers, also called Employee relations managers, Recruiting managers, Payroll managers, etc. Advanced job titles include regional or international HR manager, HR director, and general manager, among other possibilities.