The Mathematics section of IT Department hosted the program titled “How to Go Green”. it is a new initiative has been taken in Bringing up the change in the "student's thought process and lives", in lined with Oman's vision 2040 (Students being the Nation's future and treasure), and this initiative is named as “Hot Topic of the Month”.
The main aim of the event is to Connect, listen to the creative ideas of the youngsters, to implement and make difference and betterment in everyone's lives. It is basically an open forum to all the students where discussions can be done, ideas, knowledge is shared and everyone’s voice and views are heard. The program was held on 22/02/2023 @ 2.30 PM- 4.00PM in Brain storming room.
The discussion was done on the trending and realistic questions such as:
- What is the meaning of going green?
- Why it is important to go green?
- Advantages/Merits of going green?
- Repercussions faced for not going Green?
- How I/we can contribute in little ways to reduce pollution and standout by putting Oman on global map as the “Greenest and Eco- friendly country” in line with vision 2040.
- How to start or take baby steps in making UTAS-SALALAH the Greenest University?
- Honestly!!! How much are we aware of going green and if so, do we really practice and care about it on daily basis? How to connect these dots/views/opinions to spread awareness to implement it effectively and rigorously on daily bases?
From our first session one main solution that was suggested by the student who attended is to encourage the students to plant trees and take care of it till they graduate and they can keep their plants here in campus even after they complete their studies from UTAS-Salalah. The event was conducted by IT-HOD, Dr.Fatima Al-Shanfari and Mrs. Asra Anjum, Faculty in Mathematics section. Finally, the HOD-IT had expressed her heartfelt gratitude for organizing the event and wished to conduct many such events in the IT Department.